I Might Also Be Giants

October 1st, 2009

As many have pointed out to me (often concluding with the phrase “Noooooooooo!”), my show in Chicago on the 10th is competing directly with a They Might Be Giants show at the Vic Theater. Also it is a Flood show, which is the worst possible thing it could be vis a vis making it a difficult decision for those of you who are fans of both of us. Flood is the record that made my head explode way back when, they are a huge influence on me, and I wish I could go see this show. I believe there are still tickets available. It’s Flood people, seriously.

But as I was pondering this cruel turn of fate, it came to me: I should also do a Flood show. Unbelievably, at least a few people have bought tickets to see my little show at Park West (tickets also still available, ha ha, just saying), so apparently I have to do some kind of performance. I’ve strategized with Paul and Storm about it, and we’ve decided that by stealing a little time from each of our sets (and by learning to “play our instruments”), we can probably make it happen. Many of you have heard our fantastic cover of “Birdhouse in Your Soul” so really we just have to do that 18 more times. And it still leaves plenty of time for us to do our own stuff, so those of you who bought tickets to our show because you hate They Might Be Giants will still be entertained.

THERE WILL BE NO ACCORDION.

If you live in Ann Arbor and are coming to see us at the Ark on the 8th, the answer is no, we will absolutely not be ready to do the same thing for you. But maybe we can sneak in a song or two if we’re feeling frisky. Turns out tickets there? Also still available

59 Responses to “I Might Also Be Giants”

1. Kelly says:

I just heard all of Flood straight through for the first time today.
    AWESOME doesn’t begin to cover it.
    My fiance Steve and I are excited, this will be our second JoCo/P+S show :)
    Birdhouse in Your Soul is still my fav, and Steve loves Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love.
    Still contemplating if we should join the whole Twitter thing, if we did it would be to follow you guys and Amanda Palmer.
    Yay!

2. meg says:

i think using your fancypants machine for Mr. Horrible would be lovely.

3. Danielle says:

Oh heck yes. I saw a show of yours here about a year or so ago, and it’s the best live show I ever saw. Just got my tickets.

4. Jeff Yates says:

Ann Arbor show was fantastic! Nice job.

5. JoCoP&S be Giants says:

Just got back from the Chicago JoCo/Flood show at The Park West.
    Absolutely Awesome!
    However at one point I thought JoCo was pulling an Andy Kauffmanesque stunt and that there would be no JoCo Tunes (and that TMBG at The Vic were actually performing JoCos full show- the ol’ switcheroo)

Thankfully the JoCo tunes were indeed played!

(tho it would have been nice to announce mid-Flood that The JoCo songs we know and love were indeed ahead.)
    Rock on!

6. Paul says:

Please, dear Lord in heaven… PLEASE tell me someone recorded this show. The Internet needs to hear Peter Segal’s arch-yet-disembodied voice. Forget cover songs, I want to see this show as the start of a new trend: Bands lovingly covering other bands’ albums, start to finish.

And again, please, Internets. Please tell me someone recorded this show. If only to hear “Dead” again.

7. Erin says:

Yes. Recorded. Check back later for details.

8. Anonymous says:

@Erin:

Recording available on YouTube of Flood intro and Birdhouse In Your Soul:

Wish I had been there!

9. Mike says:

Don’t miss the awesome soundboard recording of the Flood show, available in the forum: