JoCo Looks Back

November 18th, 2008

You may have heard about my new greatest hits CD “JoCo Looks Back.” 20 of your favorites! Technically it’s 20 songs chosen via a complicated algorithm involving popularity, best guess, and my own selfish desires and whims. But who’s counting! If you’ve been to a live show recently you may already own one, but it’s not available for purchase online yet because:

Right now I’m doing a special thing with the Creative Commons 2008 fundraising campaign that’s kind of exciting. Between now and the end of the year a $50 donation gets you a 1 Gb USB thumb drive with all 20 songs and the artwork, plus all the source tracks for all the songs. All the source tracks? Yes. It took me about a million hours, thank you very much. So if you’ve ever wanted to do some kind of kooky remix or mashup, or if you’ve ever just wanted to take these songs apart and see how they work, this would be just the thing for you.

This is an exclusive special super secret bonus package – donating 50 bucks to CC is the only way to get it so don’t even ask, you freeloaders. I’ve benefited immensely from Creative Commons licensing, so I’m very pleased to be able to support it in this way (with your money). Get it here.

The songs are (you may begin criticizing my selections now):

Code Monkey
Creepy Doll
Mr. Fancy Pants
Baby Got Back
First of May
Re: Your Brains
The Future Soon

83 Responses to “JoCo Looks Back”

1. Alex says:

I’m hugely disappointed by this for two reasons.

One, you should be making new songs, not making a Best of CD. I’d like to think we’ve yet to see your best.

Two, all my favorite songs are missing. ;_;
    Better
    Drinking with you
    Drive
    Madelaine
    Sky Mall
    Big Bad World One
    Make You Cry
    That Spells DNA
    Stroller Town
    So Far So Good
    Womb with a View
    Todd the T1000

Where’s the love for the less popular songs? I’d kill a man for the source tracks for some of them. I realise it’s going to a good cause but I only listen to 3 of the songs on that list. Still, I’ll probably end up buying it to mess with the source tracks and improve the songs I don’t like very much.

2. Jason says:

The Boston concert got a good review from this channel five guy’s blog!

(No Rick Roll I promise.)
    I was there it was absolutely amazin!

3. hi you rock plz come and play live in sweden near our capital!!!

4. Sage says:

I got the master tracks through CC, and have been playing with them for a few days. These are fantastic masters! The dry vocals are perfect, every track is there for every song…it’s everything an audiophile could hope for. Thanks for making these available!

5. jake mcCoy says:

great list!

The songs chosen were definitely some of your best.

by the way, cant wait to see you in Virginia!

6. Angelastic says:

Just received mine… it’s all your fault I didn’t go to bed three hours ago like I was supposed to. I can finally hear what your monkey is saying! I hope you don’t mind me completely mutilating your stuff due to my lack of musical talent.

Linus: Get all your friends addicted to his music, and then get them all to request him on eventful.com. :) Translating Re: Your Brains into Swedish might be a good start.

7. Joshua says:

Uhmmm well not alot of criticism here but where the hell is future soon, still alive, and big bad world one

8. Zach says:

Joshua, “The Future Soon” IS on there…

9. Angelastic says:

I assume Still Alive couldn’t go on there because it’s one of the few that isn’t CC licensed (it was commissioned by Valve)

10. weirdojace says:

Yeah, but I would think Valve would be perfectly fine with Still Alive being included on this CD. They’re pretty cool about things.

I still want a karaoke version of it.

11. Joshua says:

sorry then where is big bad world one. oddly enough one of my favorite songs not your funniest song but definitely a good tune :-)

12. Jessica says:

@aurora – I’m with you. I think an acoustic album (or four) would be great. I love so many of the songs JoCo writes/sings, but I *really* love some of them in concert, when it’s just JoCo and his guitar (and sometimes Paul and Storm). For example, “I’m Your Moon” is a gorgeous, poignant love song, but I feel like the produced version overpowers the sweetness.

Anyone know if getting the thumb drive would allow me to make my own acoustic guitar / JoCo singing versions of these songs, and would they be properly balanced?

13. Liz says:

What a wonderful thing to do for Creative Commons and your fans. You just keep opening things up for people online and in Music 2.0, 3.0, 20. 0+

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! May all happinesses be yours.

14. Roman V. says:

Happy birthday, Coulton. Enjoy it.

15. HellZiggy says:

Happy Birthday Jonathan!!!
    Hope to see you in Minneapolis again soon… :)

~Sharon

16. Jack F says:

You say it’s your birthday? It’s my birthday too, yeah! (Well, actually it’s not. The only pseudo-celebrity I share my birthday with is Janeane Garofalo. Trying having that as a cross to bare. But I digress.)

Hope you have a great day!

17. Jack F says:

Oops. I meant “bear”, not “bare”. I’m not real thrilled with myself for putting “bare” and “Janeane Garofalo” in the same sentence. [Homer Simpson shudder noise goes here.]

18. brandeks says:

Happy birthday!

19. sevinPackage says:

Happy Birthday, JoCo! I’ll have a present for you when you come to Seattle at the end of January. See you then!

20. Annie says:

Happy Birthday, Mr. Coulton!

21. Happy birthday, indeed. Take the rest of today or tomorrow or both off. Unless you don’t want to, or can’t, or whatever.

22. Kat says:

Crap, I didn’t know it was your birthday today… happy birthday! Since you and twitter have come into my life I’ve thoroughly enjoyed finding out about geek news before my techie boyfriend. “Yeah, I already knew about Rick rick-rolling the Thanksgiving parade – joco mentioned it”… “Are you gonna check out the 2nd season of the Guild… it’s on xbox live, didn’t you know?” etc. And I play your CDs in my car all the time (yes, I’m too cheap/broke to buy a tuner for my iPod). Thanks for all that you do, keep up the good work :D

23. Zach says:

Happy (belated) Birthday!

24. Mark says:

Oh, snap! I might be able to use some of the source tracks to adapt in making new chemistry songs for my students. If I had any actual musical talent of my own (instead of the presets on my Yamaha keyboard), I wouldn’t need such a thing, but this is well worth it! I can make the songs and videos and put them up on YouTube. Thank you for making such a generous offer! Oh, and happy belated birthday…the day you can celebrate at any point during the year.

25. Kapuran says:

Long time follower, first time commenter.

It IS a good list, but it is disheartening that my two favorite songs of yours (and by favorites I mean musically, not humor-wise)–Big Bad World One and Pull the String–aren’t on there.

Also, some of my favorite humor-based songs didn’t make the cut either… Betty and Me, Better, Todd the T1000

But it has Code Monkey, I Feel Fantastic, Tom Cruise Crazy, Chiron Beta Prime, Creepy Doll, Mr. Fancy Pants, Baby Got Back, Re: Your Brains, and The Future Soon, so I guess I can’t complain.

My JoCo playlist is all the aforementioned, as well as Drive, Till the Money Comes, and Soft Rocked By Me.

The order changes as I fall more in love with certain songs as my moods shift, if anyone was wondering. And Still Alive is a fantastic song, but it gets listened to in a different playlist than my JoCo plist.

26. Colin Jensen says:

Someone please mashup When You Go with Elvis Costello’s Tramp the Dirt Down. It just fits. Then make sure I find out about it… :)

27. Kate says:

I just have to tell you that my cat, Mr. Fancypants, rocks out to your song by the same name. It’s his theme song…he can’t hear it, because he’s deaf, but trust me…he loves it. And so do I!!!

28. Angelastic says:

I said, ‘I hope you don’t mind me completely mutilating your stuff due to my lack of musical talent.’ To be more specific, I hope you don’t mind me mutilating your words so it sounds like you’re saying that you like Creative Commons (because of course, you would never say that): http://www.box.net/shared/bsxah8zn5o

29. zobroz says:

you rock plz go on more tours in sweden

30. Brian Arnold says:

I needed to wait until closer to year’s end to make sure the holidays were okay and such, but I just went and made my donation. :) Looking forward to the thumb drive!

Actually, I’d have happily paid $50 for access to download the files without a drive too, I don’t really need another thumb drive, but hey, I suppose it can’t hurt to have. :)

31. gurdonark says:

What a great thing for you to do. Had I read the options when I gave my 50, I would have checked the box for your drive!

Kudos to you for doing this.

32. whall says:

I’m wanting the source tracks to When You Go, but the link for it has 404. So then I saw the CC $50 donation thing, but this blog entry says

“Between now and the end of the year a $50 donation gets you a 1 Gb USB thumb drive with all 20 songs and the artwork, plus all the source tracks for all the songs.”

so now it’s March 2009 and wondering if the offer is still valid.

Thanx for making it available JoCo! And congrats on a GREAT show in Austin Sunday night.

33. Chris M says:

@Whall, its now available for free, at Legal Torrents.

Chris