You Oughta Know

April 19th, 2007

A few people have written to me about the Alanis Morissette cover of “My Humps,” which you have surely seen by now. I am flattered by your comparisons of this to my “Baby Got Back” cover, but I assure you all that she did not steal the idea from me. First of all, she most likely has never heard of me, and second, I stole it from The Gourds doing “Gin and Juice” and Ben Folds doing “Bitches Ain’t Shit” and Nina Gordon doing “Straight Outta Compton” and many other places I’m sure. I want her to know that I’m happy for her. I wish nothing but the best for her both.

So I was thinking about Alanis and covers, and in messing around a bit yesterday with my now very dusty recording equipment, I came up with this. If you’re offended by bad language, adult situations or cringe-inducing lyrical honesty, please don’t listen (you can practically hear me blush in spots). I remember the first time I heard this song I immediately felt guilty for being a man – it still makes me all sorts of uncomfortable, especially to sing it.

You Oughta Know

@Alanis: Word!

60 Responses to “You Oughta Know”

1. Doug says:

I just thought I’d mention that this is a beautiful cover. Granted, it sounds a little strange being sung by JC from Alanis’ point-of-view, but it’s still very well done.

2. Tindomiel says:

Oh wow. Wow. Plaintive instead of bitter, and a whole new dimension to the lyrics when sung by a guy. Amazing. Devastating. I’m in tears listening to this.

3. Joe says:

I personally think it would sound much better if you changed the words somewhat to make it fit a man’s viewpoint.

4. Joe says:

I personally think it would be a wise decision to re-record the song changing some key words and singing it from a man’s point of view.

5. lisa says:

this version is great!! i like it exactly the way it is, it sounds almost like a man speaking about his relationship with a man who left him for a woman to have a child/family with. i love it! you’ve got a great voice!

6. PonderousMan says:

Wow… I ran across this because of the “Covers” entry in JoCopedia, where I was rummaging around for more rickrolling info after last week’s show in Madison…

how I managed to miss an entire song, especially one this good, baffles me, and means I will have to carefully check to see if there’s anything ELSE I’ve missed.

Now I have a new song to request for the next show…! *grin*

7. Erika says:

This cover is a revelation: maybe not your intention, but not changing any of the pronouns queers the song in the most incredible, thought-provoking way.

(And while this song was actually popular and I was in high school hating Alanis Morissette was quite fashionable, but I’ve secretly loved the song ever since finding out it was about Dave Coulier. Dave Coulier!!)

8. Delirium-Zer0 says:

Dude, how did I NOT know about this cover until TODAY? o_O!! Huge alanis fan, huge joco fan, and TODAY I find this. Nice. :P ~

This is a FANTASTIC cover. If Alanis hasn’t heard it yet, I think she’d actually really like it – she always considered YOK a sad song and this is definitely a very sad interpretation of it.

I disagree with people who don’t like that you left the gender pronouns intact. I think it creates a whole new, very emotional story for the song. I mean, imagine yourself as a very secure homosexual man in a very loving relationship with another (seemingly) secure homosexual man as your partner. Suddenly he decides societal pressures are too much and, being cowardly, decides to pursue a relationship with a woman, pretending he’s not gay and pretending he never really loved you. I mean, that’s enough to just tear your heart out. And comments like “I’m sure she’d make a really excellent mother” become MUCH more scathing in that context.

Anyway, I guess this is my long-winded way of saying I REALLY loved this.

9. Emily says:

Aw, man! The first few time I listened to this I cracked up, and then… something in my brain just flipped and I started crying. Thanks!

10. Yan Hense says:

Oops site owner you have lots of wierd bugs on your page about parse error unexpected T String in line 15