Thing a Week 36 – Not About You

June 9th, 2006

Ah, denial. Sometimes it’s the only thing that keeps you going. This one cried out for hand claps from start to finish, but I resisted – the first step is admitting you have a problem.

Funny story: while I was recording this, I got a call from the Gin Blossoms. They want their pre-chorus back.

Not About You

Buy the song
Send a Donation
Hear more music

22 Responses to “Thing a Week 36 – Not About You”

1. Radek says:

Sweet first coment! As usual great work JC (Although this reply is not about you) great work!

2. Erin says:

Hey, the Gin Blossoms called ME last week, too! They want all the stuff I took out of their van back.

I love it and I clapped throughout. Sorry.

3. Alex says:

Oh my god, so awesome, this kicks “your so vain” in the ass with a steel toed boot.

4. Ian says:

With all of these not-taking-the-breakup-well-and-being-kind-of-obsessive-and-dysfunctional songs, I can’t imagine what your lady might be thinking. I wish her well.

5. Alex says:

Yeah, Ian has a point there, i was incredibly surprised that you had a wife, we need to have a song about marriage for a thing a week one day.

6. GREAT work! I love the song (especially the chorus). LOVE the synth in the chorus. My only ciritcism is that it seems unfinished. After the third chorus, I was hoping for a bridge, maybe a solo, and then the chorus one more time, with a repetition of “Yeah, shove it up your big fat ass. This one is not about you.” Your thoughts?

Well-played,
    Eric

7. Dennis says:

Is it just me or does the beginning of the song sound a lot like That Spells DNA?

8. Dave says:

Yeah, I once broke up with a girl because she stopped returning my phone calls, too…

9. Barbie says:

I love it lve it love it! Damn you and your songs that stick in my head forever.

10. Terisa says:

He already wrote a song about marriage, Alex – it’s called “Shop Vac”. Wonder what his wife thinks of that one. :|

I happen to think it’s awesome.

11. Zaiem says:

Very nice, catchy song; another excellent TAW. I agree with Eric, however, that it is somewhat unsatisfying in the way it ends. An extra chorus or something would really meaten out the finish.

Hey, have you ever considered hand claps? I know, it sounds crazy…but just hear me out on this one. You could use hand clapping as a rhythmic device! I’m certain this has never been done before, so I’m not sure how it would turn out, but I bet it would be totally sweet.

12. Kyle says:

This is an awesome song! And Zaiem if you read the Origional post JoCo said he had a urge to ad hand claps.

JOCO IS AWESOME! although that was apparent. One of my friends said if it weren’t for JOCO his life wouldn’ have meaning.

13. Glenn says:

JOCO is a trademarked of amalgated amalgamations, incorporated, LLC. Do not taunt happy fun JOCO.

This is really about me, isn’t it?

I’m looking forward to the Sci-Fi Zone. Megan seems pretty cool, but I’m a little concerned about her romantic pursuits. This new guy seems like trouble.

14. Mack says:

wow. awesome. Perfect timing for me unfortunately. I am going to rock out to this while not thinking of my ex-girlfriend now.

15. Very nice, Jonathan. This no doubt will get played over and over and over and over.. and over and over..

16. [...] Not About You by Jonathan Coulton Title And Registration by Death Cab for Cutie The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage by Panic at the Disco [...]

17. [...] Not About You by Jonathan Coulton [...]

18. TechniCool says:

Catchy – want it for my ringone. Thanks

19. [...] There’s When You Go, the song that comes to mind when I think about Mr. Music, along side Not About You, the song that I assume comes to Mr. Music’s mind when he thinks about me thinking about him. [...]

20. [...] with the titles up there… well, not a pattern persay, but they do have some correlation to something that is happening right at this very moment I am creating this post. But I digress. Today makes the [...]

21. Leon says:

i laughed so hard i couldnt breathe. exceptional work

22. Derek says:

Lol, i’m living this right now!