Thing a Week 5 – Baby Got Back

October 14th, 2005

This week is a cover of Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-a-Lot (note: he is not an actual knight). Had to activate the whole team for this one – guitar, mandolin, banjo and even some shakers and tambourines and other things lying around the house. I’ve wanted to cover this song for a long time, because it is excellent – there’s a wonderful message in there for those of you who have big butts. In the proud tradition of many white Americans who came before me I hereby steal and white-ify this thick and juicy piece of black culture. Watch for my album “Jonathan Coulton Sings Songs by Black People.”

Here is the song: Baby Got Back

Buy the song
Send a Donation
Hear more music

Oh, and don’t forget to vote for your favorite Shop Vac solo over there on the right. UPDATE: New plan! New plan! I forgot I said you could submit through this weekend. So we’ll stop the voting and continue on Monday once I have all the entries.

270 Responses to “Thing a Week 5 – Baby Got Back”

1. TRACi says:

It’s a song us flat-butted white can shuffle our feet to and we thank ya!

2. Chris says:

Yeah. I can hear “Leaving on a Jet Plane” in the background as well. Nice cover anyway.

3. Kevin says:

That is the best. Why isn’t this all over the radio…fantastic work. Even this 51 year old fart likes this. Your going places.

4. Uncle Mikey says:

That…was either the best thing ever…or the worst. I’m really, truly not sure which.

Either way, keep up the good work!

5. Viktor says:

This is really good! I’m loving it!

6. DJ PAUSE says:

I’m gonna run this track at the end of every set! The crowd will go bananas!

7. Need Some Help says:

How do you get the song onto an mp3 or a PSP?

8. Hi i just love the loseyourself song by eminem and the beat that goes with it.
    love ali

9. MisterJimmy says:

Damn, that is about as perfect as it can get!

10. Ricki says:

You’re my hero! Not just your covers but your originals are great. Keep it up.

11. Young Banks says:

Damnnnnnnnnn baby got some azz for real for real if i was to hit that shit the only thing i would feel is that azz iam out holla

Young Banks
    Aka Snow Man

12. AJ Watts says:

Hell yeah!

13. Ben says:

You got airplay on 99X in Atlanta! Laughed my arse off in Monday’s evening commute traffic…

14. im gay!i dodnt how 2 brush my hair

15. Young Banks says:

man let me let you know my gurl got ass but damn i wish her azz was that big bo i fuck tha shit out that bitch

16. [...] Thanks to Eric for the link. For a really awesome version of this classic song about women’s posteriors check out Jonathan Coulton and his “acoustic” cover. [...]

17. salkfj says:

oh my god, look at her butt it is so big!…that is a flippen WAY better version than this crap….

18. Ben says:

I really like your version, great job :)

19. Emma says:

Wow! What an awesome cover! I would go so far as to say that your version is better than the original. Your song has been stuck in my head since I first heard it yesterday, and I’ve been walking around my house singing it like a madman. I ended up DLing the rest of your songs on iTunes, and I’ve definately become a huge fan. Keep up the great work!

20. I saw the slashdot article about Code Monkey and after falling in love with that song, I started reviewing your archives and found this… WOW this rocks, and is FAR better than the original!

Your brilliant!

21. Mayra says:

hahahahahhahahaha!!!!, its funny!!!!! and its souns pretty!!! hahahahahahahaha!!!! but you missed the “ohhh my god… blah blah…” x’D…
    very good

22. miby says:

its good, a little desterbing but good, you should have the original for reference though

23. dannyboy says:

The start of it kinda sounds like american pie by Don Maclean… or maybe that’s just me.

24. atari princess says:

That has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard! Job well done! :)

25. bob says:

fuck you bitch

26. macy says:

yor r stupid

27. macy says:

bye

28. yogan says:

hello

29. yogan says:

WTF

30. Tracy says:

This is sooooooooooooooooooooo funny!!!

31. [...] Jonathon Coulton’s rendition of “Baby Got Back” is awesome. Other enjoyable Coulton tunes: “Code Monkey“, “Tom Cruise Crazy“, and “When I’m 25 or 64“. [...]

32. Nat says:

dude.. you’re so gay i don’t even know where to start, like.. seriously! you white folks take it to the extreme! you completely ruined a classic one hit wonder song. you took away the spunk and made it.. “blah”. if you’re gonna cover songs.. do it right. don’t just steal the lyrics and add your own sound to it and gay style, it defeats the purpose. wow.. this is not fun. not fun at all.

33. [...] As a rule, I don’t like coffee. Just never acquired a taste for it. If you but a lot of chocolate in it though, I’m all over that. Today I figured I’d treat myself with a Starbucks gingerbread latte. Since my diet doesn’t have a lot of caffine in it though, the result is that I end up hopped up and twitchy like a meth addict all day long. Here’s my part 2 of How to be Hip: Jonathan Coulton runs a great blog and tries to compose a song every week. If you do nothing else, check out his brilliant version of Baby Got Back. I’m not kidding, it’s brilliant! Well, Botox Boy seems to be fading into the background. My lip looks better but still feels a bit weird. There still must be something in my system though because I’m more itchy than usual. And no, I don’t fleas (I checked). [...]

34. [...] I’ve been listening to this guy Jonathan Coulton so I thought I’d link to him.  He has some mp3s for free if you dig into his site a little bit.  Some are quite bizarre, but I find humor in most of them.  My particular favorite is a song called “Re: Your Brain” which is about a zombie trying to negotiate with a co-worker or something.  It’s very strange, Michelle HATES it but to my warped sense of humor it’s about the funniest song I’ve heard in quite some time.  Also of particular interest is his “white-boy” rendition of “Baby Got Back.” [...]

35. johnson weed says:

HAH! this came out on my birthday!

36. keisha says:

sup, yo just listened to your song and it was okay, i just dont understand y you be takin really good black songs and makin em’ white? it makes no sense the black people came up wit em’ didn’t they? yeah well thats what i wanted to say and peace out.

37. [...] Your Brains Since we’ve been on a zombie kick recently, here’s a music video by Jonathan Coulton, the guy who brought us the acoustic version of Baby Got Back. This one is about a zombie who just wants to get along with his human friends and doesn’t quite understand why they don’t… [...]

38. J. Smitty says:

-J. Smitty

39. Jason says:

Am I the only person who only gets 1:04 of this song when I try to download it?

40. Chris Hansen says:

Jason, no I have the same problem… I can get about two minutes of the six minutes using FireFox and then it gets an end of file marker. If I use Internet Exploder I only get about 20 seconds or so.

Jonathan, any chance of uploading a new version or perhaps a zipped up version?

I must say, I’ve gone back through your archives listening to every song and they are simply amazing. I came in for ‘Code Monkey’ but there are so many wonderful songs, both originals and covers. I’m planning on ordering CDs; any chance of an autograph on the disk?

41. [...] It’s been stuck in my head all morning. It should undoubtedly use Jonathan Coulton’s setting of the song. [...]

42. trsohbeti says:

That is fucking genius!!

43. Tom Boutell says:

Hahh! Too awesome.

If I may ask – how are you handling the licensing issues for online distribution of a cover song?

You can do a statutory license and pay nine cents a pop (or so) for copies people actually buy, so that’s not too difficult.

But licensing for when people just listen on your site for free… I almost went blind trying to sort that out. Are you stuck paying a performance royalty on our free listens?

44. Jacoby says:

Why am I reminded of Barenaked Ladies? :)

Great song!

45. msn nickleri says:

that has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard. thank you

46. The singer of this cover is awesome. But, by doing a cover to this dumb song, it was a waste of his breathe. Good voice!

47. [...] Through a random linking of clicks today I found This song which I thought was pretty funny/crafty. I can’t imagine it’s easy taking Sir Mix Alot and turning it in to Peter Paul and Mary…but he did it. [...]

48. [...] I myself encountered Coulton by way of Coverville, a podcast of nothing but cover songs, when they played his cover of Baby Got Back, though obviously I’m a big dork and enjoy his nerdy songs as well. My thought about this matter is this: the people who come to Coulton for their fix of DorkMusic aren’t going to be driven away by more standard pop, though it’s certainly possible they may consume it less. However that’s looking at the wrong half of the glass: some of them are going to consume that non-nerd pop and they wouldn’t have consumed it otherwise. [...]

49. nichole says:

while i’m not typically a hiphop fan, Baby Got Back is THE song most likely to be stuck in my head for the past fifteen years or so. i’m delighted to have a new version of it to kick around in my brain :-). thank you!

(heard about you in nyt magazine, congrats.)