|Release||Where Tradition Meets Tomorrow|
- Written for John Hodgman's Little Gray Books Lecture #16, "How to Pour the Perfect Werthmann", delivered on February 5, 2003.
- This lecture concerned things that were named after actual people.
- Proof that Benoit Mandelbrot was aware of Jonathan Coulton and this song. Mandelbrot also said he was "impressed by [the song] and its popularity."
- In a strange twist of fate, Jonathan Coulton did not perform at the 2008 Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony, and hence did not meet Benoit Mandelbrot. However, Paul and Storm did.
- As JoCo acknowledges at some of his concerts, the chorus is in fact the procedure for generating a Julia Set for a given C, not the Mandelbrot Set. For the Mandelbrot Set, the lyrics would become, “Take a point called Z in the complex plane, \Let Z1 be Z squared plus Z. \And Z2 is Z1 squared plus Z. \And so on…” .
- Benoit Mandelbrot died on October 14, 2010, making the verse "Mandelbrot's in heaven, at least he will be when he's dead / Right now he's still alive and teaching math at Yale" no longer accurate. Despite this, JoCo stated he was apprehensive about retiring the song or change its lyrics. 
- In recent concerts, the song will reach "Mandlebrot's in heaven..." and JoCo will simply continue to play the song without singing until the next half of the verse, skipping the now-inaccurate lines.
"Mandelbrot Set" is available for purchase in the Jonathan Coulton MP3 Store as an individual track or as part of Where Tradition Meets Tomorrow. Of course, this song is also included as part of the "Everything" playlist.
Downloadable FLAC versions of the above are available in the Jonathan Coulton FLAC Store
As of February 2008, the CD version of Where Tradition Meets Tomorrow is out of print and is no longer available.
 Other versions
A karaoke version of "Mandelbrot Set" (studio recording version) is available on the Jonathan Coulton Karaoke Store.
An acoustic version of "Mandelbrot Set" is available on the Best. Concert. Ever. CD/DVD combination and on the digital download versions.
A PG version of Mandelbrot Set is also available on the mp3 store in the 'lost+found' playlist:
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20030208050702/http://www.littlegraybooks.com/
- ↑ http://bigthink.com/ideas/19207
- ↑ http://www.paulandstorm.com/archives/benoit-mandelbrot-says-hello-to-jonathan-coulton/
- ↑ http://www.jonathancoulton.com/2010/10/18/and-i-couldnt-even-get-the-math-right/
|Where Tradition Meets Tomorrow|
|JoCo Looks Back|
|Best. Concert. Ever.|